Accounts Receivable Supervisor
Accounts Receivable Supervisor
Assists and/or performs responsible supervisory, administrative and professional work in directing the overall operation of the Utility Office.
Provides direct support to the Utility Manager by assisting with the supervision and management of all full-time and seasonal positions in the Utility Office and is responsible for the motivation, positive direction, coordination, and evaluation of all subordinate employees.
Supports and assists the Utility Manager in hiring Utility Office employees; develops and keeps current job descriptions; develops performance expectations; identifies the essential functions, job knowledge, skills and abilities required for success in these positions; responds to questions and ensures the completion of background checks; assigns work shifts and completes schedules two weeks in advance or as directed.
Assist Utility Manager with the supervision of employees and evaluates team performance; provides opportunities for the advanced training of employees; coaches, counsels, and motivates employees for exceptionalism; investigates complaints or subordinate performance concerns; recognizes exceptional job performance of employees and identifies poor or below average employee performance by implementing disciplinary action as needed in consultation with Finance Director and/or the City Manager and Human Resources.
Provides leadership by example and through consistent positive management of the Utility Office; makes proper decisions; resolves problems; assists with the development of departmental procedures; maintains required records/files; conducts regular staff meetings and represents the Utility Office during internal and external meetings.
Works under the general supervision of the Utility Manager and/or Finance Director.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Post a high volume of receivable payments
- Process accounts and incoming payments in compliance with Financial policies and procedures
- Perform day to day financial transactions, including verifying, classifying, computing, posting and recording accounts receivables’ data
- Prepare bills, invoices and bank deposits
- Reconcile the accounts receivable ledger to ensure that all payments are accounted for and properly posted.
- Verify discrepancies by and resolve customers’ billing issues
- Reconcile cash payment discrepancies
- Facilitate payment of invoices due by sending bill reminders and contacting customers.
- Process credit card payment(s) on a daily & Monthly basis
- Follow-up on past due invoice(s) and resolve invoices issues to obtain payment
- Monitor customer limits and past due balances
- General Accounting support duties as requested by the Utility Manager and/or Finance Director
- Responsible for the collection of past due accounts to finalize all collections within the Accounts Receivable portfolios which impacts cash flows.
- Ensure accounts receivable staff performs effective collections forecast levels in order to minimize or eliminate bad debt.
- Preparation of month-end account receivable reporting package for Utility Manager and/or Finance Director on the City’s Account Receivable Portfolio
- Ensure accounts receivable staff maintains positive relationships with the internal/external customers.
- Ensure implementation/expedite payments from our customers in accordance with the terms of the policies of the City in order to meet the City’s objectives with the goal of improving the City’s customers’ payment performances, reducing the City’s debt and maximizing profit by keeping slow collections at a minimum.
- Manage the daily application of payments against customer accounts receivable ledger so it is performed in a timely and accurate manner and that the overpayments/short payments or any discrepancies are investigated with our customers and internal departments to provide supporting document information for a quick resolution and ensure the organizational accounting integrity of the City’s accounts.
PERIODIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Works under the direction of the Utility Office Manager to assist with the following, as required and as assigned:
- Establish, within City policy, appropriate service and staffing levels; monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; allocate resources accordingly.
- Assess and monitor work load, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relationships; identify opportunities for improvement; recommend procedures to encourage efficiency.
- Plan, direct, and coordinate, through subordinate level staff, the Utilities Department’s work plan; assign projects and program-related areas of responsibility; review and evaluate work methods and procedures; meet with key staff to identify and resolve problems.
- Select, train, motivate, and evaluate assigned personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies.
- Provide staff assistance and support the Finance Director and/or City Manager; prepare reviews and present staff reports and audits, including those for City Commission meetings; prepare and/or review written correspondence on a variety of City programs and projects, ncluding current and long-range water, wastewater, electric, sanitation, and reclamation projects.
- Participate on a variety of boards, commissions, and committees; interface with regulatory agencies.
- May respond to difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints.
- Provide excellent customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Prepare periodic reports for the Public Utility Advisory Board, other agencies, and departments.
- Manage the utility billing, including final bills, corrective bills, adjustments, rates and transfers.
- Manage utility office staff in utility payment processing, cash receipts, deposit calculation, new connections, and delinquent shut-off procedures.
- Manage customer problem resolution, customer queries, and customer complaints.
- Administer utility billing computer system network.
- Provide technical support and training for utility staff in operation of the utility billing system, including software, PC’s and printers, and network.
- Oversee meter reads, records, and routes for the electric and water meter readers to ensure data and records are completed in a timely manner and with a minimum amount of errors for billing purposes.
- Coordinate and assist in developing cost of service and rate studies for City utilities.
- Perform relatedduties as required.
The above information on this position description has been designed to indicate the general
nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to
contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required of all employees assigned to this job.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Experience in Data processing and accounting.
- A post-secondary education degree/certificate with coursework in business or public administration is a plus, but not required.
- One (1) year of experience in administration required.
- Two (2) years of experience in an office setting, preferably in a municipality or other governmental entity.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to carry out assigned projects to completion.
- Ability to file, type, use word processor, computer terminal, Excel spreadsheets, multi-line telephone system, and base radio.
- Dexterity, speed, and accuracy in handling office equipment.
- Ability to effectively and courteously meet and deal with the public; exhibit tact, courtesy, and initiative in handling and routing problems in the department.
- Account for all monies collected from City departments and citizens that come into the City Office, including utility bills, taxes, and grand money, and issue receipts.
- Disburse funds of the City as directed and authorized by the City Manager; sign all checks, disburse funds and make copies of vouchers.
- Maintain records of funds received in appropriate accounts; deposits money in proper bank accounts.
- Review and approve revenue producing investments for the City and monitors the investment cycle.
- Process all liquor license applications; set public hearings, publish notice, process applications.
- Administer the issuance of City licenses, including business, animal, various regulatory licenses as assigned, and cemetery deeds, et cetera, in accordance with the applicable City ordinances and other regulations.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Working knowledge of public administration and basic financial management.
- Knowledge of the rules, regulations, policies, and procedures pertaining to the operation and management of the City’s utilities.
- Ability to work efficiently and accurately in an atmosphere with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, or as part of a team.
- Knowledge of budget and reporting processes.
- Knowledge of the processes involved in accounting for receipts and expenditures, and budget estimates.
- Knowledge of recreational facility planning techniques, including design and construction.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices in the conservation of natural resources in the City Park system.
- Knowledge of public relations techniques.
- Knowledge of training and supervisory techniques.
- Knowledge of employee policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of equal employment opportunity practices.
- Knowledge of in-service training techniques.
- Ability to formulate policies, procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Ability to instruct, direct, and evaluate employees.
- Ability to analyze and appraise facts and precedents in making management decisions.
- Ability to schedule work projects.
- Ability to organize, evaluate, and present information effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain favorable public relations.
- Valid New Mexico Driver’s License.
- Must successfully pass pre-employment drug screening.
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS & MATERIALS:
- Equipment typically used: multi-line telephone, personal computer and printers, central billing system terminal, calculators, Fax machines and copiers.
- Materials and products handled: files, forms, reports, receipt books, spreadsheets. And office supplies and chemicals.
- The physical demands described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- The employee is frequently required to stoop, bend and reach while performing filing duties.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand for long periods of time while preparing the utility bills.
- Duties require sitting at a desk and using a computer for long periods of time.
- Employee is required to use hands to handle, or operate objects or controls: reach with hands and arms, and be able to hear and speak clearly.
- Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds for short distances.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Most of the essential duties are performed indoors, in a temperature controlled environment
- Duties are performed on an even and dry surface, which may be carpeted or tile.
- A forty hour work week, normally 8 am to 5 pm; however, special events and activities may require occasional irregular hours.
- Often works alone without direct supervision.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
Formal application; rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job-related tests may be required.
This Position Description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE SUPERVISOR
The City of Truth or Consequences has an opening for the position for ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE SUPERVISOR in the Utility Office.
See Job Description for full requirements and representative duties.
Grade: PM-2 pay rate commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus Benefits
Application and Job Description are available from Human Resources Office, 505 Sims Street, T or C., NM, 87901, tel. #575-894-6673 ext. 314, fax #575-894-0363. Deadline for applications to be returned to City’s HR Office is Until Filled. E.O.E.
PUBLISH: March 09, 2018 – Sentinel
March 14, 2018 -- Herald
POSTED: Workforce Solutions: (03/09/18 – Until Filled)
City’s Website: (03/09/18 – Until Filled)
Municipal League: (03/09/18 – Until Filled)
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled