Class Title: Lifeguard / Cashier Cost Code #10-14
Department: Municipal pool Grade No: GS-1
Division: Swimming Pool Status: Classified
The Lifeguard performs specialized work in the enforcement of regulation and the protection of life at the swimming pool. This position is responsible for maintaining reasonable state of discipline and behavior on the part of swimmers and rescuing those who might be in distress. Instructions and preliminary training are given at the beginning of the season, after which employee is expected to follow the established procedures with minimum assistance. Cashier is to promptly, courteously and accurately perform cashiering duties at municipal pool. Receive cash payments or seasonal passes from the public and maintain record on transactions Work is subject to review through visual inspections by supervisor. This position normally works from Monday through Sunday. Individuals may be required to work additional hours as directed by supervisor.
Works under the direct supervision of the City Facility Supervisor and/or Pool Supervisor.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Patrols and observes swimming pool area; prevents ball playing, tag games, fighting and other infractions of the rules around the pool.
- Monitors swimming and other pool activities to prevent accidents
- Rescues tired bathers or bathers having difficulties, applies artificial respiration if necessary.
- Administers first aid to cuts and other injuries suffered by bathers and administers CPR when necessary.
- Keeps a daily log of rescues and other emergencies and prepares written reports of these activities.
- Develops cooperative relationships with pool patrons to ensure positive public relations.
- Inspect swimming pool for cleanliness and performs routine maintenance such as vacuuming the bottom of the pool.
- Assists in sweeping, mopping, and picking up of wastepaper and trash in the pool area and buildings.
- May assist with periodic testing of water in the pool to determine chemical balance of chlorinators as directed by pool Supervisor
- Ensure pool rescue equipment, benches and other movable equipment are kept in proper area.
- Assist in working behind counter, checking baskets and valuables.
- May be required to work weekends and holidays.
- May assist in teaching swimming techniques.
- To promptly, courteously and accurately perform cashiering duties at municipal pool.
- Promptly, courteously, and accurately receive cash and/or checks.
- Obtain and verify cash in cash register.
- Receive and record each cash transaction for pool ticket and seasonal pass. And each seasonal pass usage for pool ticket.
- Manually reconcile RECAP having cash and cash register tape (or calculator tape) in balance with pool tickets and pool seasonal passes.
- Make daily deposit in the Clerk’s office at City Hall by 11.00 AM during the week leaving money deposit in safe nightly
- Adheres to the Pool and City’s policy relating to cash handling.
- Answer telephone calls and respond to inquiries from the public.
- Provide quality customer service to the patrons at the pool.
- Ability to operate a telephone; copy machine; calculator; cash register; and computers.
- Perform additional duties and responsibilities as necessary or assigned by the Facility Management Supervisor and Pool Supervisor.
The above information on this position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities of all employees assigned to this job.
- A minimum of one (1) year experience as a lifeguard and successful completion an advance American Red Cross Safety is preferred.
- Some experience handling money.
- Work experience in dealing with the general public is preferred.
- Pass pre-employment swim test
KNOWEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Skills in swimming, rescue work, resuscitation, and in giving first aide.
- Good physical strength and sufficient strength to control struggling adult swimmer
- Ability to maintain constant alertness to recognize emergencies and respond to emergency situations with appropriate action.
- Ability to communicate and establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public and with other personnel..
- Ability to work under pressure with constant interruptions and to work on more that one task at a time. Be self-motivated.
REQUIREMENTS/ CERTIFICATION/ LICENSE:
- Must have American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification, Community First Aid and CPR certifications, within 30 days of hire.
- Must successfully pass pre-employment drug screening.
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS & MATERIALS:
- Usual supplies/materials and chemicals used to accomplish the duties outlined above.
- Utilizes telephone, copy machine, fax machine, computer and word processing equipment, calculator and cash register.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to swim, walk, sit and speak or listen. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move over 100 pounds, with assistance of other employees.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee mainly works in outside and inside conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, toxic or caustic chemicals.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately loud in the pool area.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job-related tests may be required.
This Position Description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
The City of Truth or Consequences has openings for the positions of PART-TIME AND FULL-TIME CERTIFIED LIFEGUARD/ CASHIER with the MUNICIPAL SWIMMING POOL
See Job Description for full requirements and representative duties.
Grade # GS-1: pay rate commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus benefits.
Application and Job Description are available from Human Resources Office, 505 Sims Street , T or C., NM 87901, tel.# 505-894-6673 ext. 314, fax #575-894-0363. Deadline for applications to be returned to City’s HR Office: until filled. E.O. E.
July 11, 2018 - Herald
July 18, 2018
July 25, 2018
August 1, 2018
August 8, 2018
August 15, 2018
July 13, 2018 - Sentinel
July 20, 2018
July 27, 2018
August 3, 2018
August 10, 2018
August, 17, 2018
WORKFORCE SOLUTIONS (07/11/18 – until filled)
CITY WEBSITE: (07/11/18- until filled)
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled