Equipment Operator I - Street
Equipment Operator I/ Pothole Operator
Responsible for the safe, efficient operation of repairing potholes of the City streets, assists in the maintenance, construction, and repair of streets and alleys.
Works under the general guidance and direction of the assigned supervisor and/or Street Director.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operates on and off-road vehicles and light mobile equipment, including, but not limited to, trucks, backhoes, ditchers, power brooms, small rollers and compactor, water truck, asphalt distributor and loader, sweeper, pothole truck, rubber tire roller, and steel wheel roller.
- Demonstrates adaptability and resourcefulness in the safe and efficient operation of vehicles for a variety of assigned purposes, including, but not limited to, hauling sand, aggregate, and other road building material for street paving and maintenance; maintenance of rights-of-way and unpaved road and parking surfaces; spraying of oil from rear of distributor truck; cutting weeds and grass along City streets.
- Responsible for checking equipment daily to maintain efficient and safe operational status, including inspections and testing of tire conditions and air pressure, brakes, mechanical and engine fluids, water, brake lights, head lights, and such other systems and equipment as required.
- Operates compressors and small generators to supply air and electric power for air-powered and electric tools.
- Performs duties of a laborer, including breaking, mixing, and placing concrete and asphalt using hand and power tools; installing pipe sections, valves and fittings; lifting and loading material and equipment; clearing and cutting trees, brush and trash.
- Learns how to read work orders, blueprints, layouts, schematic drawings, or other visual aids.
- Responsible for the safety of coworkers while equipment is being used.
- May be required to work after hours and/or weekends.
- May be required to interact with the public in a professional and respectful manner.
- Follows all safetyrules, regulations, and policies established within the City and the Streets Department.
- Learns and ensures adherence to all traffic safety regulations and procedures at all times.
The above information on this position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required of all employees assigned to this job.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- One (1) year of experience in the operation of light equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read, write, and understand written and oral instructions in English.
- Ability to ask questions of supervisor, listen to, and follow verbal directions in English.
- Ability to work with equipment, tools, and the materials specified in this classification.
- Must be able to accurately read all gauges on equipment and make correct judgements in the operation of equipment.
- Knowledge of functions, operating methods, and care required for a wide variety of maintenance, construction, repair, and cleaning of the City streets, alleys, and public rights-of-way.
- Ability to use the equipment and tools involved in the maintenance, construction, repair, and cleaning of the City streets, alleys, and public rights-of-way.
- Must be knowledgeable of all traffic laws and regulations.
- Must be familiar with and able to follow all safety procedures required in conducting the duties described above.
- Must have the knowledge and ability to perform preventive maintenance and minor repairs on listed equipment.
- Ability to keep records.
- Ability to load and unload cargo and flag traffic.
- Must possess good hearing and sight (aided or unaided).
- Ability to detect audible backup warning devices and traffic sounds when working around moving equipment and in close proximity to moving traffic.
- Ability/learn to use graphic instructions such as blueprints, layouts, schematic drawings, or other visual aids.
- Valid New Mexico CDL.
- Must successfully complete the pre-employment drug testing.
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS AND MATERIALS:
- Utilizes the equipment/tools/vehicles described in Essential Duties section.
- Utilizes the following hand-operated tools, including, but not limited to, pick, shovel, asphalt rake, sledgehammer, pitchfork, digging bars, grease gun, hammer, screwdriver, and wrenches.
- Works with petroleum products, tire chains, construction signs, chemicals, paint, water, weeds, salt, sand, cement, and canvas.
- All safety equipment used as safety precautions, including, but not limited to, eye goggles, hardhat, steel-toed boots, dust masks, ear plugs, gloves, rubber boots, reflecting vests, cones, and flags.
This list is general and not all-inclusive.
- All essential duties are performed mostly outdoors with exposure to natural weather conditions with extremes in temperatures.
- Works closely and communicates verbally with other employees.
- Worker is exposed to intermittent noise and vibration factors.
- Worker is exposed to exhaust fumes, dust, and mists.
- Work is conducted primarily during daylight hours, however, may be required to work after normal working hours and/or weekends, when necessary.
- Work is performed on even or uneven terrain, while operating equipment, and performing general labor work. Surfaces may be wet or dry, muddy, paved, or dirt roads. Grease or oil may be found on working surfaces. Work may be performed on inclines.
- Work hazards include but not limited to; gas/electrical lines, vehicle traffic and exposure of skin to gasses and fumes due to materials and/or products handled in the line of duty requirements; cuts, bruises, animal or insect bites or stings, sprains, strains, broken bones, exposure to electrical shock, operation of Division vehicles, or equipment and falling objects.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions when notified of said disability.
- Duties may involve lifting up to 100 pounds occasionally (i.e. up to one-third of work day), from ground to waist level and lifting up to 50 pounds frequently to constantly (i.e. from one-third up to entire work day), from ground to shoulder level.
- Duties may require the ability to push/pull with arms with a force of up to 50 plus pounds while performing labor work.
- Duties involve climbing, crawling, sitting, crouching, kneeling, twisting, bending; ability to assume prone positions, to rotate, and to balance.
- Duties require use of hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls, grasp, manipulate, reach with hands and arms, overall and finger dexterity.
- Duties involve the ability to coordinate use of hands and eyes to grasp/manipulate levers and steering wheel bilaterally for operation of equipment.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be requested.
This Position Description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
EQUIPMENT OPERATOR I
The City of Truth or Consequences has an opening for the position of EQUIPMENT
OPERATOR I in the STREETS DEPARTMENT.
See Job Description for full requirements and representative duties.
Grade: GS-6 .pay rate commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus benefits.
Applications and Job Descriptions are available from the City’s Human Resources Office,
505 Sims Street T or C, NM 87901, tel. # (575) 894-6673 ext. 314, fax # (575) 894-0363.
Deadline for applications and resume to be returned to City’s HR Office is Until Filled.
PUBLISH: December 22, 2017 - Sentinel
December 27, 2017 - Herald
POSTED: Workforce Solutions (12/22/17 – Until Filled)
City’s Website (12/22/17 – Until Filled)
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled