Class Title: EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT Cost Code #10-03
Department: OFFICE OF THE CITY MANAGER Grade No.: GS-7
Division: Status: Classified
Provide a variety of routine and complex clerical, secretarial and administrative duties in the City Manager’s Office.
Works under the direct supervision of the City Manager.
None generally. May exercise supervision over clerical, temporary or other staff, as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- This is a confidential position, the administrative assistant must, above all be able to have knowledge of confidential information and not divulge it under any circumstances, unless specifically authorized by the City Manager, Assistant City Manager, or City Commissioners.
- Provide receptionist duties, such as answering the multi-line telephone, route messages, schedule appointments, maintain orderly flow of appointments, refer inquiries or visitors to appropriate staff; and greet the public.
- Perform administrative and clerical duties such as composing correspondence for approval and signature; assemble documents, required reports, correspondence, or reference material upon which administrative decisions may be made; make necessary arrangements for various conferences, board or other meetings; relay instructions and information to other staff members; maintain filing systems, control records, file correspondence, memos and reports, retrieve and copy materials as needed.
- Prepare various mandatory reports due to state and federal governmental agencies on a regular monthly, quarterly, biannual, and/or annual basis.
- Develop and maintain office forms and procedures; duplicate and distribute material; prepare award certificates for appreciation and/or promotions/reassignments, et cetera.
- Responsible for complying with the preparation of purchase requisitions from the City Manager’s budget.
- Ability to think and act independently and without direct supervision at all times.
- Ability to proofread not only for spelling and grammar, but also for content.
The above information for this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required of all employees assigned to this job.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma, or GED Certificate of Completion; plus any combination of college level education or administrative secretarial experience totaling five (5) years.
- Computer training – three (3) years of intensive computer usage/experience required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Computer literate, proficient in MS Word and Excel, and basic knowledge of PowerPoint would be an asset.
- Ability to answer telephones in a professional manner, take messages and refer callers to other sources as appropriate. Ability to respond to inquiries from the public on matters not within work area.
- Ability to work in an atmosphere of frequent interruptions, priority changes and conflicting directives. Must have ability to prioritize, plan and organize work.
- Knowledge and use of methods required to tactfully greet the public; ability to interact with all levels of internal staff, local, state and federal government; and ability to represent supervisor.
- Ability to perform difficult tasks rapidly and accurately, to accept responsibility, and handle confidential matters in a trustworthy manner.
- Good knowledge of spelling, punctuation, grammar, business arithmetic, business English, proofreading, and modern office methods and equipment.
- Valid New Mexico Driver’s License.
- Must successfully pass pre-employment drug testing and post-offer employment medical examination.
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS & MATERIALS:
- Equipment typically used: multi-line telephone, personal computer and computer printer, word processor, photocopiers, fax machine, and calculator.
- Materials and products handled: files, forms, reports, spreadsheets, records, receipt books, and office supplies and chemicals.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee is frequently required to stoop, bend and reach while performing filing duties.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand for long periods of time while photocopying and assembling material.
- Duties require sitting at a desk and using a computer for long periods of time.
- Duties include walking, both indoors and outdoors, and operating a motor vehicle.
- Employee is required to use hands to handle, or operate objects or controls; reach with hands and arms and be able to hear and speak clearly.
- Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds for short distances.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Most of the essential duties are performed indoors, in a temperature controlled environment.
- Most duties are performed on an even and dry surface, which may be carpeted or tile.
- A forty hour work week, normally 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; however, special events and activities may require occasional irregular hours.
- Often works alone without direct supervision.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required.
This Position Description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
The City of Truth or Consequences has an opening for the position of EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT in the CITY MANAGER’S OFFICE.
GENERAL PURPOSE: Provide a variety of routine and complex clerical, secretarial, and administrative duties in the City Manager’s Office.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: High school diploma, or GED Certificate of Completion; plus any combination of college level education or administrative secretarial experience totaling five (5) years. Computer training helpful - three (3) years of intensive computer usage/experience required.
Grade GS-7 Pay rate commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus benefits.
Application and Job Description are available from Human Resources Office, 505 Sims Street, T or C, NM, 87901, tel. # 505-894-6673 ext. 314, fax # 505-894-0363. Deadline for applications and resume to be returned to City’s HR Office is Until Filled. E.O.E.
PUBLISH: December 22, 2017 - Sentinel
December 27, 2017 - Herald
POSTED: City’s Website (12/22/17 – Until Filled)
Workforce Solution (12/22/17 – Until Filled)
NM Municipal League Classified (12/22/17 – Until Filled)
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled