Administrative Assistant Solid Waste
Class title: Administrative Assistant Cost Code: 42-02
Department: Solid Waste Grade No: GS-6
Provides wide variety routine complex clerical, secretarial and administrative duties to include use of spreadsheets and reports for the Solid Waste Department: (to include Recycling Center and the Collection Center) and/or the Sanitation Director to facilitate the efficient operation of the organization.
Works under the general guidance and direction of the Sanitation Director.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- This is a confidential position; the administrative assistant must, above all, be able to have knowledge of confidential information and not divulge it under any circumstances.
- Answer the telephone, receive and route messages, maintain orderly flow of appointments, transfer calls, and take messages.
- Perform administrative and clerical duties such as composing correspondence for approval and signature, and assembling documents, required reports, and correspondence.
- Maintain filing systems, control records, file correspondence, memos, and reports; retrieve and copy materials as needed.
- Prepare timely reports to state and federal governmental agencies.
- Develop and maintain office forms and procedures. Duplicate and distribute material.
- Responsible for complying with the preparation of purchase requisitions.
- Assist Sanitation Director with the GPS monitoring system.
- Prepare create & manage spreadsheets and databases.
- Be able to compose correspondence to clients and inter-office personnel.
- Ability to create presentations, reports, and documents.
- Assist Sanitation Director with preparing all documentary, budgetary, and financial requirements.
- Submit grant applications or renewals to the right organization(s) offering grants for the Solid Waste Department (to include Recycling Center and the Collection Center)
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- May be assigned to work non-traditional hours as required for commission/committee meetings, trainings, weekends and holidays.
- Back up for Scale House Attendant.
- Provides prompt, courteous and accurate customer service to the public; responds to requests for information on Solid Waste and Recycling issues such as collection and route schedules, materials accepted at Recycling and Solid Waste Collection Center, identification of problem waste and ability to dispatch collection truck for special trash or debris pick-ups in order to provide better service and to maintain positive customer service relations.
- Weighs customer vehicles on scale to determine fee amount; promptly, courteously and accurately receives cash and checks for solid waste disposal transactions. Operates a cash register and makes appropriate change. Issues register receipts to customers remitting payments.
- Balances the cash drawer daily using receipts, cash and an adding machine; identifies errors and takes appropriate steps to remedy and/or report to the supervisor if not remedied. Commutes to various locations to pick-up deposit bags, change, etc. as required. Safeguards all receipt of cash/checks in accordance with accounting policies and procedures.
- Maintains the scale and surrounding area in a clean and pleasing manner.
The information above on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required of all employees assigned to this job.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED Equivalent.
- Two (2) years’ experience in cashiering or accounting to include six (6) months customer service experience.
- Scale attendant experience in waste management preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated computer skills in working with Microsoft Word applications (Excel, spreadsheet and email software and Power Point).
- Exceptional customer service and interpersonal skills including answering the phone
- Proficient on an adding machine with a high degree of accuracy with keyboard input and cash transactions.
- Ability to work under pressure and with constant interruptions and to work on more than one task at a time.
- Ability to work alone and with minimal supervision and to adhere to all Cashier policies and procedures.
- Ability to work overtime as needed or requested.
- Strong English language abilities and clear and neat writing ability. Spanish speaking a plus.
- Ability to maintain pleasant working relationships with supervisors, co-workers and the public.
- Ability to communicate in both oral and written English.
- High degree of customer contact requires strong verbal abilities and the ability to read at a high school level.
- Ability to become familiar with safety procedures pertaining to waste handling and to distinguish the kinds of refuse material that are being delivered to waste collection center or recycling center.
- Ability to handle and respond in a polite and courteous manner to disgruntled customers and the public.
- Ability to perform a wide variety of duties with accuracy and speed under the pressure of time-sensitive deadlines.
- Problem assessment and problem solving.
- Valid New Mexico Driver License.
- Must be bondable
- Must successfully complete the post-offer pre-employment drug screening.
- Must be able to attend training out of town as required to obtain necessary certification in Transfer Station Facility Operator and Recycling Facility Operator from the New Mexico Environmental Department and other trainings as necessary.
Equipment, Tools & Materials:
- Worker uses a wide variety of forms, clipboards and writing utensils.
- Worker wears steel-toed shoes or boots and may be required to wear gloves, goggles, hardhat and other safety gear for protection and safety in performing certain duties.
- Worker may be required to handle various types of waste, recyclable materials, broom, and dustpan, various hand tools, pitchfork, hoe, rake, and shovel.
- Worker will operate electronic truck weight scale, computers and hard drives, printers and cash registers, telephone, photocopy machine, fax machine, calculator, 2-way radio, city truck and/or other facility and office equipment on a day to day basis.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Moderately physical position involving walking, standing, sitting, stretching, kneeling, bending, and stooping to reach customers at scale house window.
- Duties will require walking both indoors and outdoors, and driving.
- The employee is required to use hands to finger, handle, or operate objects or controls; reach with hands and arms and be able to hear and speak,
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
- The employee must occasionally left and/or move up to 25 pounds for short distances.
- Specific required movements include the following:
- Truck: bend, twist rotate, push, pull, and carry.
- Arms: reach, carry, push, pull, lift, twist, and rotate.
- Legs: lift, push, pull, twist, rotate, and balance.
- Hands: grasp, manipulate, rapid movement, bilateral coordination, finger and overall dexterity.
It is the employee’s responsibility to obtain assistance from another worker or mechanical aid on items weighing more than 25 pounds.
- The position functions within a crowded, hectic setting with exposure to dust and musty odors.
- Moderately physical position involving bending and stooping to reach customers at scale house window.
- Involves constant interruptions and handling multiple tasks at one time.
- Work is performed mostly indoors, subject to natural weather conditions and extreme change in temperature due to opening and closing of window when dealing with customers.
- May be assigned to work non-traditional hours as required including weekends and holidays.
- Subject to moderate and extreme noise levels caused by equipment, trash trucks and vehicles.
- Subject to unpleasant odors.
- Duties are performed on hard level or uneven surfaces and inclined slopes.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be requested.
This Position Description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
The City of Truth or Consequences has an opening for the position of ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT in the SOLIDWASTE DEPARTMENT.
See Job Description for full requirements and representative duties.
Grade GS-6: Pay rate commensurate with qualification and experience, plus benefits.
Application and Job Description are available from Human Resources Office, 505 Sims Street, T or C NM, 87901, tel. #575-894-6673 ext. 314, fax #575-894-0363.
Deadline for applications to be returned to the City’s HR Office is: Until filled. E.O.E.
PUBLISH: November 17, 2017 - Sentinel
November 22, 2017 - Herald
POSTED: WORKFORCE SOLUTIONS (11/17/17 – until filled)
CITY’S WEBSITE (11/17/17 – until filled)
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled