Water/Wastewater Operator I
Class Title: WATER/WASTEWATER OPERATOR I Cost Code #41-03
Department: Joint Utility Grade No: GS-6
Division: Water/Wastewater Status: Classified
Operates equipment and becomes familiar with Division procedures dealing with the construction, maintenance, operation of the City’s water production/distribution and wastewater treatment/collection systems.
Under supervision of the assigned Supervisor, and/or Crew Foreman
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operates light mobile equipment including, but not limited to, backhoes, ditchers, and dump trucks.
- Operates compressors and small generators to supply air and electric power for air powered and electric tools.
- Operates pneumatic tools including jack hammers and hand tools necessary for the construction and repair of the City’s water production/distribution and wastewater/treatment collection systems.
- Checks equipment daily to maintain efficient and safe operational status including inspection and testing of tire conditions, air pressure, brakes, mechanical and engine fluids, brake lights, head lights, and such other systems and equipment as required.
- Ensures adherence to all traffic safety regulations and procedures at all times
- Learns how to read work orders, blueprints and line drawings.
- Learns how to construct and repair water distribution and wastewater collection systems.
- Learns how to operate and troubleshoot water production and wastewater treatment systems.
- Follows all safety rules, regulations, and policies established within the City and the Water/Wastewater Services Division.
- Keeps the appearance of the shop and grounds in and orderly manner by general housekeeping.
- Assist with reads and records water meter readings for billing purposes in a timely manner with a minimum amount of errors.
- May be required to work standby and weekend duties.
The above listed duties are intended to be general in nature and level of work performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- One (1) to three (3) years of experience in operating a backhoe; prior experience operating compressor and dump truck.
- One (1) year experience in the operation of a New Mexico water production/distribution and/or wastewater treatment/collection system or equivalent.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to maintain a pleasant working relationship with fellow employees and the general public.
- Ability to become familiar with Division and City Rules and Regulations.
- Skill in operating listed tools and equipment.
- Skill in the application of basic First Aid, including CPR.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate in both oral and written English.
- Must possess good hearing and sight (aided or unaided).
- Valid New Mexico Driver’s License; Class “B” CDL.
- Ability to obtain Water I and Wastewater I certification with-in 18 months of hire.
- Must successfully pass the pre-employment drug test and the post-offer employment medical examination, due to the heavy lifting requirement.
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS, AND MATERIALS:
- Utilizes the equipment/tools/vehicles described in Essential Duties section in addition to Division vehicles, portable or mobile radio, various hand tools, pneumatic tools, and appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Materials and products handled: All materials dealing with the construction and maintenance of water distribution and wastewater collection lines and/ or equipment; all chemicals dealing with the maintenance of Division vehicles and equipment and the general housekeeping of Division buildings and grounds; including aerosol insecticides.
This is general not all inclusive.
- All essential duties are performed outdoors with exposure to natural weather conditions and extremes in temperatures.
- Works closely with other employees.
- Exposure to various fumes, odors, mists, or dusts.
- Exposure to intermittent noise and vibration factors.
- Job hazards or potential job hazards include cuts, bruises, animal or insect bites or stings, sprains, strains, broken bones, exposure to electrical shock, and operation of Division vehicles or equipment, falling objects.
- Work is performed on even or uneven terrain, while operating equipment and performing general labor work. Surfaces may be wet or dry, muddy, paved or dirt roads. Work may be performed on inclines.
- Essential duties areperformed seven days a week, although emergencies may require working all hours of the day or night, including weekends and holidays.
The work environment characteristics described above are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions when notified of said disability.
- Duties may involve lifting of heavy objects up to 50 pounds.
- Duties involve walking or standing for long periods of time on even, uneven, hard, soft, wet, or dry surfaces
- Duties involve climbing, crawling, sitting, crouching, kneeling, twisting, bending; ability to assume prone positions, to rotate and to balance.
- Duties require use of hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls, grasp, manipulate, reach with hands and arms, overall and finger dexterity
- Duties require ability to talk and hear
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus, bilateral coordination, and eye and hand coordination.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be requested.
This Position Description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
WATER/WASTEWATER OPERATOR I
The City of Truth or Consequences has an opening for the position of WATER/WASTEWATER OPERATOR I at the WATER/ WASTEWATER DEPARTMENT.
See Job Description for full requirements and representative duties.
Grade GS-6 pay rate commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus Benefits
Application and Job Description are available from Human Resources Office, 505 Sims Street, T or C., NM, 87901, tel.#575-894-6673 Ext. 314 fax #575-894-0363. Deadline for applications to be returned to the City’s HR Office is Until filled E.O.E.
PUBLISH: September 15, 2017 - Sentinel
September 20, 20117 - Herald
POSTED: WORKFORCE SOLUTIONS (09/15/17 – Until filled)
CITY’S WEBSITE (09/15/17 – Until filled)
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled