Park Maintence Worker I
Class Title: Parks Maintenance Worker I Cost Code: #10-09
Department: Municipal Recreation & Parks Grade No. GS-4
Division: Public works Status: Classified
Will perform work as a general laborer in maintaining the various parks & recreation facilities in the City of Truth or Consequences
Under supervision of the Municipal Parks & Recreation Director/Manager, or as directed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Builds, installs, maintains, and repairs chain link fences, wooden fences, backstops, playground equipment, barbecues, picnic tables, roofs, windows, doors, floors, and stone walls by using construction hand and power tools, sledge hammers, wire cutters, etc.
- Installs and maintains water lines and associated facilities such as drinking fountains, irrigation systems and sprinkler systems, timers, sprinkler heads, and general maintenance.
- Repairs, sands, scrapes, paints, or stains tables, benches, fences, signs, doors, windows, and small structures located at any of the Park and Recreation areas.
- Turf management such as, mowing, aerates, trimming, and edging; rakes, sweeps and vacuums leaves, trimmings, and clippings; weeds, cultivates, plants, fertilizes, irrigates, and sprays planted areas; prunes and trims trees, shrubs, and hedges and feeds debris into a chipper; removes debris and sand build up.
- Operates, services, and makes minor repairs to grounds maintenance equipment, including sharpening and maintaining hand and power tools, chainsaw, weed eaters, mowers, hedgers, aerators, tractors, small equipment, trailers, transports, loads, and un-loads supplies, tools, equipment, and vehicles.
- Maintains landscaping, which may include planting of grass, trees and shrubs, mowing grass, removing weeds, spraying chemicals, fertilizing and watering.
- Maintain adequate inventory of equipment and supplies.
- Performs safety inspections on department parks, recreation areas, playgrounds, trails and other facilities to ensure that they are safe for use by the public.
- Responsible for cleaning, disinfecting, graffiti removal, washing facilities and maintenance of the restrooms or facilities located at any of the Parks and Recreation areas.
- Cleans and removes litter from parks, parking lot, and other public areas
- Responsible for maintaining all athletic fields; ballfields complex, soccer fields, rodeo arena, cemetery’s, tennis courts, shooting range and all other city parks.
- Opens and locks public facilities as directed.
- May be required to perform other duties outside of the scope of normal job classification as assigned.
The above information on this position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required of all employees assigned to this job.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Education and Experience:
- One (1) year experience in parks, ground maintenance, landscaping, sprinkler systems, construction or building maintenance. Experience can be a combination of the above or related field.
- One (1) year basic mechanical experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Considerable knowledge of equipment, materials and supplies used in grounds and building maintenance.
- Working knowledge of equipment and supplies used to do minor repairs.
- Ability to understand, follow, and transmit oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate in both oral and written English.
- Ability to maintain a pleasant working relationship with fellow employees and the general pubic
- Ability to work independently and to complete daily activities according to work schedule.
- Ability to use hand tools, power tools, power mowers, tractors, weed eaters, chainsaws and other various equipment.
- Ability to handle and use various chemicals and compounds.
- Working knowledge of first aid and applicable safety precautions.
- May be required to learn and operate heavy equipment.
- Valid New Mexico Driver’s License.
successfully pass the pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
- Certified in First Aid and CPR or be able to obtain it within the 1st year.
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS AND MATERIALS:
Utilizes any equipment, tools and materials necessary to accomplish the duties described in the Essential Duties section above, including but not limited to:
- Personal computer, including Microsoft Office Suite; calculator; copy machines; telephone; cellular phone or portable radios.
- Mowing equipment, including riding mowers, push mowers, weed eaters and sweepers. Also included are backhoe, brush-hog, ditch-witch, compressor and jackhammer, pesticide/herbicide spray equipment.
- All small hand and power tools, including such items as tree pruning equipment,
chainsaws, power drills and saws, and general use hand tools.
- All chemicals associated therewith.
- Normal work performed on weekdays. Some overtime work may be required, including evenings and weekends. May also be required to rotate standby duties.
- Outside work is subject to seasonal temperature extremes and inclement weather.
- Subject to hazards such as chemicals, including pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, oxidizers, cleaning chemicals, solvents, paints and acids, cement and stucco.
- May be subject to health hazards such as infections, diseases, fumes, odors, dusts and gasses.
- Exposure to moderate to high noise levels.
The work environment characteristics described above are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Duties may involve lifting of heavy objects, not to exceed 100 pounds.
- Duties involve walking or standing for long periods of time on even, uneven, hard, soft, wet, or dry surfaces.
- Duties involve crouching and kneeling for long periods of time.
- Duties require use of hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls, and reach with hands and arms.
- Duties require ability to speak and hear.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perceptions, and the ability to adjust focus.
Formal application, rating of education and experience, oral interview and reference check; job related tests might be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
PARK MAINTENANCE WORKER I
The City of Truth or Consequences has an opening for the position of PARK MAINTENANCE WORKER I in the PARKS DEPARTMENT.
See Job Description for full requirements and representatives duties.
Grade: GS-4.pay rate commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus benefits
Application and Job Description areavailable from the City’s Human Resources Office, 505 Sims Street, T or C., NM, 87901, tel#575-894-6673 ext. 314Fax #575-894-0363.Deadline for applications to be returned to City’s HR Office is Until filled E.O.E.
PUBLISH: September 15, 2017 - Sentinel
September 20, 2017 - Herald
POSTED: Workforce Solutions (09/15/17 – until filled)
City’s Website (09/15/17 – until filled)
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled