Tourism/Event/Convention Center Coordinator
Tourism/Event/Convention Center Coordinator
The objective of this position is to increase City revenues through marketing/branding the City, advertising, convention bookings, and tour operators. The scope of work shall consist of planning, booking, coordinating, and scheduling site visits, press trips, and bus tours, and generally marketing of the City of Truth or Consequences (Truth or Consequences) in the tourism industry locally and abroad. This position is appointed by the City Manager and reports directly to the Manager.
Works under the close guidance and direction of the City Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
(A position may not include all of the duties listed; nor do the listed examples include all duties, which may be found in a position in this classification).
- Plan, maintain and develop the tourism ‘brand’ for the City of Truth or Consequences.
- Continue to refine our advertising campaign, cooperate with advertisers to meet seasonal deadlines, plan and proof advertisements, print brochures as needed, and interact with editors—locally and nationally—for coverage highlighting our area.
- Write an annual application for the State Tourism Co-Op grant and follow up with reporting requirements. Coordinate with State Tourism Department regarding any opportunities to include Truth or Consequences in their marketing efforts.
- Plan for, prepare, and represent Truth or Consequences at special events;
- Attend ‘Lodgers Tax Advisory Board’ meetings assist in their marketing decisions and maintain all published information regarding Truth or Consequences. Help plan and attend public events.
- Post news, events, and other items to promote Truth or Consequences on the City Website, Facebook page, and any other relevant social media outlets.
- Maintain an office at the Civic Center to plan, promote, and book events, as well as manage and maintain the convention center.
- Collaborate with organizations to welcome visitors and promote local designations, prepare and provide the information they need. Track demographics and advertising success throughout the season.
- Create, print, and obtain display material as needed.
- Arrange to replace signage as it degrades.
- Maintain equipment and services; budget and arrange for upkeep/replacement as necessary.
- Provide the City Manager and other groups with quantitative reports that include charts, graphs, and relevant statistics.
Perform other duties as may be directed by the City Manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Exceptional communication (both written and verbal).
- Research and information gathering systems and methods.
- Knowledge of a variety of information database systems.
- Knowledge of conducting Internet searches.
- Experience in economic development, tourism, and marketing
- Effective verbal, presentation, listening, written, and communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills
- Excellent time and stress management skills.
- Ability to ‘brand’ and market the City to tourists.
- Ability to work with the public and visitors to ensure a great experience when visiting.
The Tourism/Event Coordinator may supervise staff or volunteers.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Tourism / Marketing Degree preferred.
- Two years of experience in a Tourism/Marketing setting, or related area of expertise that would enable the employee to satisfactorily perform the duties required.
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training.
- Ability to read, write, and effectively communicate with others.
- Ability to read, write, and effectively communicate in Spanish, as well as other languages, is desirable.
Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry. Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
Work is generally performed in an office setting and requires standing, walking, sitting, carrying, pulling, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, and handling. Must be able to speak, hear, and have good visual acuity including peripheral, depth, close, and distance vision. Requires sitting for long periods of time and light physical exertion, including some walking, bending, and reaching. Finger dexterity is required.
The ideal candidate must be able to demonstrate the following: supervisory and leadership skills and expertise; analytical, technical, and organizational skills; exceptional customer service; uncompromising integrity; excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to consult with, and effectively communicate with, members of boards and commissions to present complex issues/data with a high degree of clarity and impact; ability to work with other members of staff toward a common goal; ability to type efficiently; a strong comfort level working with various software programs; creative problem solving skills; a goal oriented outlook and attitude.
TOURISM/ EVENT/ CONVENTION CENTER COORDINATOR
The City of Truth or Consequences has an opening for the position of Tourism Event Convention Center Coordinator
Requirements: Tourism / Marketing Degree preferred. Two years of experience in a Tourism/Marketing setting, or related area of expertise that would enable the employee to satisfactorily perform the duties required. Any equivalent combination of experience and training.
Grade PM-3 pay range depending on qualification and experience, plus benefits
Application and Job Description are available from Human Resources Office, 505 Sims Street, T or C., NM 87901, tel. #575-894-6673 ext. 314; fax #575-894-0363 Applications and resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. E.O.E.
May 5, 2017 - Sentinel
May 10, 2017 - Herald
Workforce Solutions (05/05/17 – until filled)
City Website (05/05/17 – until filled)
NM Municipal League Classified (05/05/17 – until filled
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled