Animal Shelter Manager
Class Title: Animal Shelter Manager Job Code:: 10-08
Department: Police Department Grade No:PM-3
Division Operational /Administrative Status: Classifed
The Animal Shelter Manager reports to the Chief of Police or his/her designee. The Animal Shelter Manager is a uniformed position responsible for day-to-day operations of the City of Truth or Consequences Animal Shelter in accordance with established policies and procedures, including all applicable State and or Federal laws. The Animal Shelter Manager supervises shelter staff and or volunteers and addresses concerns and/or operational issues of the shelter. The Animal Shelter Manager submits an annual budget to the Chief of Police or his/her designee for review and submittal to the City.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED/ GIVEN:
Supervises and manages all full-time and part-time employees, including volunteer staff in the day-to-day operations of the City of Truth or Consequences Animal Shelter.
Manages employees and evaluates team performance; provides opportunities for the adequate training of employees; coaches, counsels, and motivates employee for exceptionalism; investigates complaints or subordinate performance concerns; recognizes exceptional or below average employee performance and implements disciplinary action as need with consultation with the Chief of Police, Human Resources and the City Manager.
Provides leadership by example and through the consistent management of the Animal Shelter; makes sound reasonable decisions; solves problems; develops departmental procedures; maintains required records/files; conducts regular staff meetings; represents the Animal Shelter during internal and external meetings.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The below-listed duties are not inclusive and are intended to illustrate essential responsibilities for this position.
- Provides facility management for the day-to-day operations of the Animal Shelter; assures best practices are followed in the humane handling of all animals at the Animal Shelter; assures the facility is thoroughly cleaned and disinfected on a daily basis; animal intake and initial screening for health and temperament-related issues.
- Oversees administration of vaccines and/or drugs as related to the humane care of animals; identifies and refers animals for veterinary needed treatment.
- Coordinates with veterinary services for emergency treatment of referred animals; coordinates and/or performs euthanasia by injection; coordinates and closely works with the Animal Control Compliance Officers; coordinates and works closely with Non-Profit, Animal Transfer Out, and adoption groups.
- Develops and Implements Volunteer and Community Out Reach programs; develops and implements a local Animal Adoption program from the Animal Shelter; assist the public in locating and reuniting lost animal with their owners; restocks and maintains adequate supplies of food and disinfectant/cleaning agents.
- Coordinates with other City Departments to provide or obtain current animal licensing information; responds to public request for information and programs available to the community; ensures the proper handling of records on all intake animals per policy and procedure; ensure the proper handling and recording of all monies received at the Animal Shelter; balances and prepares deposits for all monies received at the Animal Shelter.
Education and Experience:
- A high school diploma or equivalent;
- Minimum of four (4) years of Management experience of the operational characteristics, services, and activities of an Animal Shelter;
- Experience and knowledge of Planning, Organizing, Staffing, Directing, Coordinating, Reporting & Budgeting.
- Experience in the principles and practices of program development and administration;
- Experience in the principles and practices of budget preparation and administration;
- Experience in the principals and practices of analyzing programs, policies, and operational needs;
- Experience and working knowledge of Animal Behavior;
- Experience in human/animal restraint and care techniques;
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Supervision, training, and conducting performance evaluations;
- Local Ordinance, State, and Federal law as it pertains to Animal Sheltering;
- Manage and/or direct staff and or Volunteers to meet the needs of the animal shelter;
- Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in written form;
- Analyze problems, identify solutions, project proposed actions, and implement a course of action;
- Ability to identify the breeds/species of animals;
- Ability to identify the signs of animal neglect, abuse, and cruelty;
- Computer literate, including but not limited to email, word processing, excel, database concepts including basic internet/social media applications.
- State of New Mexico Valid Driver’s License
- Veterinarian Technician Certificate (Highly desired but not required)
- Possess or is willing and able to obtain a State of New Mexico Euthanasia Certification
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
- Equipment typically used; telephone, computer, printer, fax machine, photocopiers, calculator, and other industry standard type office equipment;
- Uses standard hand tools occasionally;
- Dolly for moving items in excess of thirty-five (35) pounds.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee will encounter to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The position of Animal Shelter Manager is a fulltime uniformed position with a scheduled forty (40) hour work week, as assigned by the Chief of Police or his/her designee to best meet the needs of the Animal Shelter.
- The working environment consists of but is not limited to being exposed to outside weather conditions, fumes or airborne particles, animal transmitted diseases, exposure to fractious, frightened or dangerous animals;
- Lifting 25lbs by manually raising or lowering an object from one level to another and or carry the object for a short distance;
- Contact with the public and at times emotional pet owners.
Formal application, rating of education, experience, personal reference checks, background investigation, oral interview, and related tests may be required.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
I have read the above-written job description; I understand the demands and expectations of the position described and to the best of my knowledge believe I can perform these duties. I understand that this is a uniformed full-time position in compliance with FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act).
ANIMAL SHELTER MANAGER
The City of Truth or Consequences has an opening for the position of ANIMAL SHELTER MANAGER in the POLICE DEPARTMENT / OPERATION / ADMINISTRATION DIVISION.
See Job Description for full requirements and representative duties.
Grade: PM-3 .pay rate commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus benefits.
Application and Job Description are available from the City’s Human Resources Office,
505 Sims Street, T or C., NM, 87901, tel #575-894-6673 ext. 314, fax #575-894-0363
Deadline for applications to be returned to City’s HR Office is Until filled E.O.E.
April 07, 2017 - Sentinel
April 12, 2017 - Herald
Workforce Solutions (04/07/17 – until filled)
City’s Website (04/07/17 – until filled)
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled