Solid Waste Division
Perform duties in the planning: operations, scheduling, and supervision of waste collection for the City of T or C and Village of Williamsburg, handling the waste disposal for the residents of T or C & Sierra County, and daily operations of the recycle facility. Assume Sanitation Director’s duties in his absence.
Supervise and manage all full-time and part-time employees at the Solid Waste Department and is responsible for the overall motivation, direction, coordination, and evaluation of this unit.
Assist the Sanitation Director with the hiring process; develop and update job descriptions; develop performance expectations; identify essential functions of the positions and the knowledge, skills and abilities required; respond to questions and ensure the completion of background checks; assign work shifts and work schedules two weeks in advance, when possible.
Manage employees and evaluate team performance; provide opportunities for the adequate training of employees; coach, counsel, and motivate employees for exceptionalism; investigate complaints or subordinate performance concerns; recognize exceptional or below average employee performance and implement disciplinary action as needed in consultation with Sanitation Director and/or the City Manager and Human Resources.
Provide leadership by example and through consistent management of the Solid Waste Department; make decisions; solve problems; develop departmental procedures; maintain required records/files; conduct regular staff meetings and represent the Solid Waste Department during internal and external meetings.
Sanitation Supervisor will report to the Sanitation Director, and will be responsible for assisting the Sanitation Director in supervising all workers//laborers in the Solid Waste Division.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Assist Director in planning, scheduling, and supervision of employees in the Solid Waste Division in the collection and disposal of all City refuse.
- Assist with Coordinating daily work and route schedules.
- Communicate with staff to resolve problems and issues.
- Supervise, organize and coordinate t daily operations with crews to meet work goals; assure activities are in compliance with all laws, policies, regulations, and goals.
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, and streamline work processes.
- Work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality customer service.
- Assist Director to reconcile issues relating to policies and procedures; investigate customer complaints, incidents and concerns on service issues.
- Respond to requests for information, and provide technical information within scope of authority
- Coordinate the care and repairs of Solid Waste vehicles and equipment.
- Assist with the maintaining of reports and enters data into data base.
- Supervise staff through appropriate work oversight; prioritize and coordinate; train, coach and instruct employees as required;
- Monitor work and evaluate performance; ensure staff adheres to policies and procedures in compliance with local, state, and federal regulations.
- Responsible for Solid Waste Division employee’s adherence to all traffic laws and ordinances.
- Assure that all work is accomplished in accordance with sound safety procedures.
The above listed duties are intended to be general nature and level of work performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a local assignment to the position.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Minimum two (2) year supervisory capacity.
- Experience or knowledge in Transfer Stations, preferred.
- Basic experience or knowledge in Recycling and Composting Operations, Landfill.
- Four (4) years of experience in solid waste collection, disposal, and recycling.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have some knowledge and experience in solid waste disposal principles, practices, methods, and trends.
- Must have some knowledge of applicable Federal, State, County and City policies, laws, and regulations affecting solid waste disposal activities
- Must have current knowledge in the rules and regulations affecting the disposal of solid waste.
- Must have general knowledge on keeping and maintaining the necessary records and ability to prepare reports.
- Ability to read write, and comprehend both oral and written orders in English.
- Ability to provide for necessary operation and maintenance of sanitation equipment.
- Ability to plan, schedule, organize, direct, and control activities of subordinates.
- Ability to maintain pleasant working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, and the public.
- Ability to perform basic maintenance on equipment, as needed.
- Knowledge of safe and efficient operating maintenance techniques for the trash compactor and the heavy equipment used in daily operation and basic record keeping.
- Must be familiar with and practice applicable safety procedures.
- Ability to operate Word & Excel programs to provide monthly statistical reports.
- Valid New Mexico CDL or the ability to obtain within one (1) year of hire.
- NM Solid Waste Facility Operator Certification Transfer Station Certification, within one year of hire.
- Ability to obtain the following Solid Waste Operator Certifications: Recycling Certification, Landfill Certification, Composting Certification.
- Must successfully complete the pre-employment drug screening.
Equipment, Tools & Materials:
- Worker uses a wide variety of forms, clipboard, and writing utensils.
- Worker wears steel-toed shoes, gloves, goggles, and a hardhat for protection and safety in performing certain duties
- Can handle various types of waste, recyclable materials, broom, dustpan, various hand tools, pitchfork, hoe, rake, shovel, and grease for the equipment used at the facility.
- Worker operates truck, compactor, front-end loader, a bulldozer, and/or equipment in the performance of certain duties.
- Work is performed both indoors and outdoors. The percentage of duties performed in each environment depends on the amount of trash and recyclables brought to the facility on a particular workday.
- Worker performs indoor duties in a temperature-controlled environment. Worker is exposed to natural weather conditions while performing outdoor duties.
- Worker is exposed to intermittent noise and vibration factors while performing duties.
- Subject to unpleasant odors, various fumes, dusts, and/or mists in the performance of duties.
- Worker performs most duties outdoors on an uneven surface. Indoor surfaces are typically dry. Outdoor duties may be performed on an even or uneven surface, which may be wet or dry. Outdoor duties may be performed on surfaces such as asphalt, concrete, grass, natural ground, crushed rock, mud, ice, or snow.
- Most duties are performed without direction from director. Certain duties are performed as part of a team or group of workers.
- Work hazards, or potential work hazards, including operating heavy equipment, exposure to severe weather conditions, frequent lifting, exposure to hazardous waste materials, and working in a secluded area.
- Work is normally performed during weekdays and part of work shift may be performed in the darkness. Emergencies may require working all hours of the day or night, including weekends and holidays.
- Ability to use sound judgment, logic, and experience to make proper decisions concerning medical, hazardous, chemical, and problem waste disposal.
- Must be able to accurately calculate amount of trash.
- Must be able to apply knowledge of maintenance and repair functions in working with the equipment.
- Must be able to apply knowledge of proper, safe use of various hand tools and the equipment.
- Must be able to prepare/maintain records, including yards/tons, total collected, number of vehicles using facility, and regular daily operations of facility.
- Must be able to sit up to an estimated 4 hours total per 10 hour day.
- Must be able to stand and/or walk up to an estimated 4 hours total per workday.
- Must be able to crouch, crawl, kneel, or work in a prone position on an occasional basis. Crawling, kneeling, or working in a prone position are required on rare occasions.
- Must be able to bend at the waist, and twist/rotate at the waist as needed, on a frequent basis.
- Must be able to reach arms away from body or overhead on an occasional basis. Must be able to extend arms to perform job duties on an occasional basis. Must be able to work with arms bent for up to 8 hours per workday.
- Must be able to push or pull with arms with a force in excess of 50 pounds of pressure.
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds from floor to waist level and from waist level to overhead on a frequent basis. Must be able to carry up to 40 pounds on a frequent basis.
- Must be able to use legs to assist in lifting activities, as well as standing, walking, and climbing. Must be able to use legs and feet in order to operate a self-loading scraper or backhoe.
- Must be able to use hands to grasp/manipulate various objects in a bilaterally coordinated manner. Must be able to use hands and fingers in the operation of heavy equipment and performing basic maintenance and repair duties.
- Must have eyesight and hearing sufficient to safely operate heavy equipment. Must be able to use visual abilities to accurately assess amounts and types of trash brought to collection center. Must be able to coordinate use of eyes and hands in duties such as operating heavy equipment.
The above PHYSICAL ABILITIES section uses the terms Occasional, Frequent, and Constant in referring to certain physical demands. The term Occasional refers to a 1-32 repetitions per workday, the term Frequent refers to 33-200 repetitions per workday.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be requested.
This Position Description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Truth or Consequences, NM 87901
The City of Truth or Consequences has an opening for the position of SANITATION SUPERVISOR in the SOLIDWASTE DIVISION.
See Job Description for full requirements and representative duties.
Grade pm-2 Pay rate commensurate with qualification and experience, plus benefits
Application and Job Description are available from Human Resources Office,
505 Sims Street T or C., NM, 87901, tel.#575-894-6673 ext. 314 fax #575-894-0363.
Deadline for applications to be returned to the City’s HR Office is 5:00 PM,
Until filled. E.O.E.
April 07, 2017 - Sentinel
April 12, 2017 - Herald
WORKFORCE SOLUTIONS (04/07/17 – until filled)
CITY’S WEBSITE (04/07/17 – until filled)
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled