Scale House Attendant
Class title: Scale House Attendant Cost Code: 39-04
Department: Joint Utility Grade No: GS-3
Division: Solid Waste Status: Classified
Responsible for weighing customer vehicles on scales to determine fee amounts. Position involves performing multiple tasks.
Works under the general guidance and direction of the Sanitation Director or others as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
1) Provides prompt, courteous and accurate customer service to the public; responds to requests for information on Solid Waste issues either verbally or by phone as Collection and route schedules, and materials accepted at Waste Collection and Recycling center.
2) Dispatches collection truck for special trash or debris pick-ups in order to provide better service and to maintain positive customer service relations.
3) Weight customer vehicles on scales to determine fee amount. Calculating scale weights to insure accurate fees. Measure and calculate cubic yards for incoming loads. Waste screening and load inspections.
4) Performs accounting related duties pertaining to the receipt of cash and check receipts.
5) Promptly, courteously and accurately receives cash, checks for solid waste disposal transactions. Operates a cash register and makes appropriate change; processes commercial city account transactions. Issues register receipts to customers remitting payments.
6) Balances the cash drawer daily using receipts, cash and an adding machine; identifies errors and takes appropriate steps to remedy and/or report to the supervisor if not remedied. Commutes to various locations to pick-up deposit bags, change, etc. as required. Safeguards all receipt of cash/checks in accordance with accounting policies and procedures.
7) Maintains the scale house area and displays in a clean and pleasing manner.
The above information on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required of all employees assigned to this job.
Education and Experience:
1) High school diploma or GED Equivalent.
2) Two (2) years’ experience in cashiering or accounting to include six (6) months customer service experience.
3) Scale attendant experience in waste management preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1) Must have computer skills in working with Microsoft Office Suite, Excel, and PC applications and email software.
2) Exceptional customer service and interpersonal skills.
3) Ability to use an adding machine with a high degree of accuracy with keyboard input and cash transactions
4) Ability to work under pressure and with constant interruptions and to work on more than one task at a time.
5) Ability to work alone and with minimal supervision and to adhere to all cashier policies and procedures.
6) High degree of customer contact requires strong verbal abilities and the ability to read at a high school level.
7) Ability to work overtime as needed or requested.
8) Strong English language abilities and clear and neat writing ability. Spanish speaking preferred.
9) Ability to maintain pleasant working relationships with supervisors, co-workers and the public
10) Ability to communicate in both oral and written English.
11) Ability to become familiar with safety procedures pertaining to waste handling and to distinguish the kinds of refuse material that are being delivered to waste collection center or recycling center.
1) Valid New Mexico Driver License.
2) Must successfully complete the post-offer employment medical examination and pre-employment drug screening.
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS & MATERIALS:
1) Worker uses a wide variety of forms, clipboard and writing utensils.
2) Worker will operate on day to day bases: automatic truck weight scale, computers, printers, adding machine and cash register
3) Utilizes telephone, copy machine, fax machine, calculator, and filing cabinets.
4) Usual office supplies/material/paperwork of all types.
1) The position functions within a crowded, hectic setting with exposure to dust and musty odors.
2) Ability to quick decision making and positive attendants
3) May be assigned to occasional work beyond normal business hours including weekends and holidays.
4) Ability to operate a cash register and adding machine.
5) Involves constant interruptions, handling multiple tasks at one time.
6) Work is performed mostly indo, subject to natural weather conditions and extremes in temperature.
7) Subject to moderate and extreme noise levels caused by equipment, trash trucks and vehicles.
8) Subject to unpleasant odors.
9) Duties are performed on hard, uneven surfaces.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1) Moderately physical position involving walking, standing, sitting, stretching, kneeling, bending and stooping to reach customers at scale house window.
2) Duties will require walking both indoors and outdoors, and driving.
3) The employee is required to us hands to finger, handle or operate objects or controls; reach with hands and arms and be able to hear and speak.
4) Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus
5) The employee must occasionally left and/or move up to 25 pounds for short distances.
6) Specific required movements include the following:
¨ Trunk: bend, twist, rotate, push, pull, and carry.
¨ Arms: reach, carry, push, pull, lift, twist, rotate.
¨ Legs: lift, push, pull, twist, rotate, balance.
¨ Hands: grasp, manipulate, rapid movement, bilateral coordination, finger and overall dexterity.
It is the employee’s responsibility to obtain assistance from another worker or mechanical aid on items weighting more than 25 pounds.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be requested.
This Position Description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
SCALE HOUSE ATTENDANT
The City of Truth or Consequences has an opening for the position of SCALE HOUSE ATTENDANT in the SOLIDWASTE DIVISION.
See Job Description for full requirements and representative duties.
Grade GS-3 Pay rate commensurate with qualification and experience, plus benefits
Application and Job Description are available from Human Resources Office,
505 Sims Street T or C., NM, 87901, tel.#575-894-6673 ext. 314 fax #575-894-0363.
Deadline for applications to be returned to the City’s HR Office is Until filled. E.O.E.
PUBLISH: April 07, 2017 - Sentinel
April 12, 2017 - Herald
POSTED: WORKFORCE SOLUTIONS (04/07/17 – until filled)
CITY’S WEBSITE (04/07/17 – until filled)
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled