Maintenance Custodian (Facility Manaement Dept)
Class Title: MAINTENANCE/CUSTODIAN Cost Code #10-14
Department: Facility Management Grade No. GS-4
Division: Facility Management Status: Classified
Under general supervision, performs a variety of skilled and unskilled tasks in the custodian care and maintenance of municipal buildings.
Under supervision of Facility Management Director and Assistant Director. May supervise temporary employees or community service workers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Clean and sanitize restroom facilities to include cabinets, tile areas, dispensers, waste baskets, toilet bowls, urinals, lavatories, stall partitions, doors, mirrors, windows and trim.
2. Clean, dust, sweep, vacuum, mop and wax general offices, steam clean, strip waxes, polishes, buffs floors, carpets, and all office furniture.
3. Dumps trash and garbage cans and reline cans with new liners; washes windows, walls, metal and woodwork; picks up litter from around buildings and grounds; sweeps, cleans up sidewalks around the buildings, and water as necessary.
4. Cleans spills, mirrors, tables, walls, fixtures, blinds, light fixtures; will change light bulbs and fluorescent tubes as needed, and will change batteries in clocks and doorbells.
5. Will be required to assemble various office type desks and furniture, and assist in moving of furniture/equipment as necessary.
- Will assist in the decoration of the City buildings for various events including but not limited to the Fiesta Days, Geronimo Days, and the usual Holidays.
- Performs minor semi-skilled interior building maintenance and repairs such as painting, floor covering, plumbing, carpentry, mechanical, and other unskilled and semi-skilled trades of work including repair and maintenance of heating and cooling units of City buildings and will clean air discharge and return grills.
8. Inspects and maintains assigned custodial equipment and small tools for proper operating condition.
MAINTENANCE/CUSTODIAN Page 2 of 4
9. Opens and closes, locks and unlocks facilities as needed.
10. Keeps records of work completed.
11. Maintains current skills and knowledge in the proper and safe techniques of building maintenance.
The above information on this position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required of all employees assigned to this job.
Education and Experience:
1) High School diploma or G.E.D. equivalent.
2) Three (3) years= experience in maintenance as well as custodial care of buildings which demonstrate the knowledge and ability to perform the work.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1) Basic knowledge of equipment, materials and supplies used in grounds and building maintenance.
2) Working knowledge of equipment and supplies used to do minor repairs.
3) Some knowledge of first aid and applicable safety precautions.
4) Skill in the operation of listed tools and equipment.
5) Ability to work independently and to complete daily activities according to work schedule.
6) Ability to lift heavy objects, walk and stand for long periods of time.
7) Ability to communicate orally and in writing and to understand and follow written and oral instructions in English.
8) Ability to use equipment and tools properly and safely.
9) Ability to read, comprehend and learn the use of various chemicals and compounds, including potential effects when mixed or used.
10) Ability to maintain a pleasant working relationship with fellow employees and the general public.
1) Valid New Mexico Driver’s License.
2) Must successfully pass the pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
MAINTENANCE/CUSTODIAN Page 3 of 4
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS AND MATERIALS:
Utilizes any equipment, tools and materials necessary to accomplish the duties described in the Essential Duties section above, including but not limited to:
1. Floor buffers, steam cleaners, carpet cleaners, washers, vacuum, mops, broom, dusting equipment, hand tools, mechanical, carpentry and small power tools.
2. All chemicals associated therewith.
1) Normal work performed on weekdays. May be required to work unsupervised during the evening or on weekends for special projects.
2) Outside work is subject to seasonal temperature extremes and inclement weather. Inside work is usually performed on an even, carpeted, flat and/or hard surface, and subject to hazards such as cleaning agents, disinfectants, wet floors, solvents and operation of a wax stripper, paint and paint thinner
3) Works alone under the general guidance of a supervisor.
4) Some discomfort due to moderate to high noise levels and vibrations at times.
5) Subject to hazards such as infections, diseases, fumes, odors, dusts and gasses.
The work environment characteristics described above are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
1) Duties may involve lifting of heavy objects not to exceed 100 pounds.
2) Duties involve walking or standing for long periods of time on even, uneven, hard, soft, wet or dry surfaces.
3) Duties involve crouching and kneeling for long periods, twisting, bending; ability to rotate and to balance.
4) Duties require use of hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls,
grasp, manipulate, reach with hands and arms, overall and finger dexterity.
5) Duties require ability to talk and hear.
6) Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perceptions, and ability to adjust focus, bilateral
coordination, eye and hand coordination.
MAINTENANCE/CUSTODIAN Page 4 of
Formal application, rating of education and experience, oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
MAINTENANCE / CUSTODIAN
The City of Truth or Consequences has an opening for the position of
MAINTENANCE / CUSTODIAN in the Facility Management Department.
See Job Description for full requirements and representatives duties.
Grade: GS-4 .pay rate commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus benefits
Application and Job Description areavailable from the City’s Human Resources Office,
505 Sims Street, T or C., NM, 87901, tel#575-894-6673 ext. 314Fax #575-894-0363.
Deadline for applications to be returned to City’s HR Office is Until filled E.O.E.
PUBLISH: March 10, 2017 - Sentinel
March 15, 2017 - Herald
POSTED: Workforce Solutions (03/10/17 – until filled)
City’s Website (03/10/17 – until filled)
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled