This position is an entry-level position that, through on-the-job and classroom training, receives instructions in the general use of materials and equipment dealing with te construction and maintenance of an electrical distribution system.
- Position is required to learn the identification and usage of materials or tools associated with the construction of an electric distribution system.
- Works with or around de-energized lines or equipment, loads and unloads trucks or trailers, digs holes for poles and anchors.
- Assists linemen in restoring overhead and underground services and service upgrades.
- Assists linemen in restoring overhead and underground outages.
- Assists linemen in maintaining existing overhead and underground lines.
- Assists linemen in performing line patrols.
- Responsible for following all City safety policies and procedures.
- Assists in reading electric meters.
- Follows all safety rules, regulations, and policies established within the City and Electric Division.
- Keeps accurate and current maintenance and inventory records and files in a timely manner, prepares required reports.
- Keeps the appearance of the shop and grounds in an orderly manner by general housekeeping.
- Digs pole and anchor holes, frames, anchors, and set poles, installs guy wire, sag and tie-in conductors.
- Assists with installation of transformers, switches, voltage regulators, oi circuit-re-closers, capacitors, meters, and other electrical apparatus.
- Assists with year-light and street-light maintenance and installation.
- Installs service, connects, disconnects, and reconnects as assigned.
- Assists with relocation, rebuilding, and adding poles on existing lines for the City road construction.
- Assists with cutting in double-end for two-way feeds and replacing lightning arresters and guys, on energized or de-energized lines.
- Installs account numbers on meter poles, as directed.
- Replaces and repairs service drops, as directed.
- Assists with installing, repairing and replacing meter sockets and loops.
- Reads, changes, installs and seals meters, as assigned.
- Performs periodic stand-by duty.
- Observes the electric distribution-feeds and circuits in order to become familiar with the system.
- Trims trees and cuts brush or right-of-way for new construction or existing lines, as assigned.
- Completes outage reports, work orders, connect, reconnect, or disconnect work orders, as required or directed.
- Operates equipment as needed for the Electric Department (i.e. winch truck, bucket, etc.) or as directed.
- Performs other work-related activities as requested by supervisor.
The above information on this position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required of all employees.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma Preferred or G.E.D. equivalent.
- A minimum of six months of experience with a line crew in the construction and maintenance of electrical distribution line is desirable.
- Valid New Mexico Driver’s License.
- Ability to obtain a New Mexico Class “B” CDL license within six months of hire.
- Must fulfill Apprentice requirements.
- Must successfully pass pre-employment drug and alcohol screening test, and the post offer employment medical examination.
- Must be CPR and First Aid certified, or possess the ability to obtain such certification within one year of employment.
Contact : Submit applications online or email to HumanResources@torcnm.org
City of Truth or Consequences employment application.
Deadline for Applying : Mar 2, 2021