Line Repairman I
Class Title: LINE REPAIRMAN I
Department: Joint Utility
Division: Water Services Status: Classified
Operates equipment and becomes familiar with Division procedures dealing with the construction, maintenance, and operation of the City’s water distribution and wastewater collection systems.
Under supervision of the assigned Supervisor
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Learns how to use light equipment such as hand tools and pneumatic tools necessary for the construction and repair of water distribution and wastewater collection systems.
- Follows all safety rules, regulations, and policies established within the City and the Water Services Division.
- Keeps the appearance of the shop and grounds in an orderly manner by general housekeeping.
- Helps maintain vehicles by cleaning, servicing and housekeeping
- May be required to work weekends or holidays.
The above listed duties are intended to be general in nature and level of work performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- One (1) year of related experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to maintain a pleasant working relationship with fellow employees and the general public.
- Ability to become familiar with Division and City rules and regulations.
- Skill in operating listed tools and equipment.
- Knowledge pertaining to the application of basic First Aid including CPR.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate in both oral and written English.
- Must possess good hearing and sight (aided or unaided).
- Ability to operate backhoe, preferred
- Valid New Mexico Driver’s License
- Ability to obtain New Mexico Water I and Wastewater I certification within 18 months of hire.
- Must successfully pass the pre-employment drug and alcohol screening test, and the post offer employment medical examination.
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS AND MATERIALS:
Equipment and tools typically used: Division vehicles, portable or mobile radio, various hand tools and when needed, appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Materials and products handled: All materials dealing with the construction and maintenance of electric distribution lines or equipment; all chemicals dealing with the maintenance of Division vehicles and the general housekeeping of Division buildings and grounds; including aerosol insecticides.
This list is general not all inclusive.
- All essential duties are performed outdoors with exposure to natural weather conditions with extremes in temperatures.
- Works closely with other employees.
- Exposure to various fumes, odors, mists or dusts.
- Exposure to moderate noise levels.
- Job hazards or potential job hazards include cuts, bruises, animal or insect bites or strings, sprains, strains, broken bones, exposure to electrical shock and operation of Division vehicles or equipment, falling objects.
- Essential duties are normally performed during weekdays, although emergencies may require working all hours of the day or night, including weekends and holidays.
The work environment characteristics described above are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions when notified of said disability.
- Duties may involve lifting of heavy objects up to 50 pounds.
- Duties involve walking or standing for long periods of time on even, uneven, hard, soft, wet or dry surfaces
- Duties involve climbing, crawling, sitting, crouching, kneeling, twisting, bending; ability to assume prone positions, to rotate and to balance.
- Duties require use of hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls, grasp, manipulate, reach with hands and arms, overall and finger dexterity.
- Duties require ability to talk and hear
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus, bilateral coordination, and eye and hand coordination.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be requested.
This Position Description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
The City of Truth or Consequences is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. The City of Truth or Consequences makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled