Tourism Event/Convention Center Coordinator
Tourism/Event/Convention Center Coordinator
The objective of this position is to increase city revenues through continued branding and marketing of the city. The scope of work priorities shall consist of: planning, booking, coordinating, and scheduling conventions, site visits, press trips, and bus tours, as well as generally promoting the City of Truth or Consequences in the tourism industry.
The position will require familiarization with—and cooperation with—local, regional, state, national, and international markets as they relate to the city.
This position is appointed by the City Manager and reports directly to the Manager who may assisted by others of his/her choice.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain consistency with the city's brand.
- Work with others to help coordinate the best target marketing plan for the city.
- Collaborate with the advertising campaigns and assist in efforts to effectively reach the most markets, with available funds.
- Cooperate and collaborate where appropriate with the State Tourism Department.
- Offer expertise and resources to event planners and/or facilitators who are putting on local events
- Stay apprised of press release opportunities and provide press release resources for all events and other newsworthy situations which promote the city and area.
- Post news, events, and other items on all social medias and the city's web site.
- Maintain an office at the Civic Center to plan, promote, and book events; manage and maintain the convention center.
- Identify changes necessary to more easily sell the Civic Center as a convention center.
- Stay abreast of Tourism initiatives..
- Provide a quarterly update to the City Commission and other entities as deemed relevant,
- Collaborate with the Truth or Consequences Lodgers' board to insure available lodger’s tax is spent efficiently.
- Enthusiastically maintain a convention and tourism presence on the city’s web site.
Perform other duties as may be directed by the City Manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Be knowledgeable of our local and regional cultures and assets.
- Be efficient in research and information gathering systems.
- Have experience in tourism, promotion, and marketing.
- Have effective and cooperative verbal, written, and communication skills.
- Have social media and computer skill acuity.
- Be self-motivated and a self-starter.
- Have the ability to work with the public and visitors to ensure a great experience when visiting.
- Be a team player and willing to collaborate and communicate with entities and organizations.
- Be able to focus on extended stays and return visits,
- Have the ability to track results, and make changes when needed.
The Tourism/Event Coordinator may supervise staff or volunteers.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Tourism / Marketing Degree preferred.
- Two years of experience in a Tourism/Marketing setting and/or economic development related to tourism, or related area of expertise that would enable the employee to satisfactorily perform the duties required.
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training.
- Ability to read, write, and effectively communicate with others.
- Ability to read, write, and effectively communicate in Spanish, as well as other languages, is desirable.
Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry. Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
Work is generally performed in an office setting and requires standing, walking, sitting, carrying, pulling, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, and handling. Must be able to speak, hear, and have good visual acuity, including peripheral, depth, close, and distance vision. Requires sitting for long periods of time and light physical exertion, including some walking, bending, and reaching. Finger dexterity is required.
The ideal candidate must be able to demonstrate the following: supervisory and leadership skills and expertise; analytical, technical, and organizational skills; exceptional customer service; uncompromising integrity; excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to consult with, and effectively communicate with, members of boards and commissions to present complex issues/data with a high degree of clarity and impact; ability to work with other members of staff toward a common goal; ability to type efficiently; a strong comfort level working with various software programs; creative problem solving skills; a goal oriented outlook and attitude.
TOURISM/ EVENT/ CONVENTION CENTER COORDINATOR
The City of Truth or Consequences has an opening for the position of Tourism Event Convention Center Coordinator
Grade PM-3 pay range depending on qualification and experience, plus benefits
Application and Job Description are available from Human Resources Office, 505 Sims Street, T or C., NM 87901, tel. #575-894-6673 ext. 314; fax #575-894-0363 Applications and resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. E.O.E.
Publish: May 25, 2018 - Sentinel
May 30, 2018 - Herald
Posted Workforce Solutions (05/25/18 – until filled)
City Website (05/25/18 – until filled)
NM Municipal League Classified (05/25/18 – until filled
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled