Class title: Assistant Clerk Cost Code #10-01
Department: Office of the City Clerk Grade No.: GS-5
Division: Status: Classified
This position works under direct supervision of the City Clerk or Deputy City Clerk performs clerical, receptionist, and secretarial duties for the City Clerk’s office.
Supervised by the City Clerk-Treasurer and Deputy Clerk.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Type correspondence, reports, and other materials from rough or advanced draft using a word processor and/or computer.
- File and retrieve information from manual and/or computer automated files.
- Provides customer service by answering telephones and greeting walk-in customers, provides information, answering inquires, and directing inquiries to the appropriate city department.
- Operator of Base radio for City Departments.
- Sort and distribute mail; prepares outgoing mail.
- Take complaints from public and provide information as requested.
- Research information from files, minutes, regulations, and legal documents.
- Make photo copies and assemble materials for distribution.
- Maintain supplies inventory and order supplies as necessary.
- Provide secretarial support including agendas & minutes for appointed City boards and
- Issue Animal Licenses, Business Licenses, Lodger’s Tax, Liquor Licenses and other related permits.
- Responsible for all records retrieval, archiving, and destruction.
- The interest in training and conferences that will assist in the duties assigned.
- Assists the Clerk-Treasurer and Deputy Clerk with all aspects of the administration of the Office.
- Perform additional duties and responsibilities as necessary or assigned.
The above information on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required of all employees assigned to this job.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED equivalency is required.
- Two (2) years’ experience as a receptionist, clerk or typist in an office setting
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to file, type, use word processor, computer terminal, excel spreadsheets, multi-line telephone system and base radio.
- Needs dexterity, speed and accuracy in handling office equipment.
- Ability to work efficiently and accurately in an atmosphere of frequent interruptions.
- Ability to effectively and courteously meet and deal with the public and exhibit tact, courtesy, and initiative in handling routine problems in the department.
- Ability to handle a large volume of routine correspondence. Assist in maintaining reports, records, databases and information files.
- Ability to count monies accurately and complete daily accounting reports.
- Ability to communicate effectively both oral and written English.
- Ability to take and transcribe minutes.
- Ability to perform a wide variety of duties with accuracy and speed under the pressure of time-sensitive deadlines.
- Valid New Mexico Driver’s License
- New Mexico Notary Public certification or the ability to obtain within 3 months of hire.
- Must successfully pass pre-employment drug testing post offer medical exam.
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS AND MATERIALS:
- EQUIPMENT typically used: multi-line telephone, computer terminal, computer printer, computer keyboard, word processor, photocopy machine, fax machine, calculator, and base radio.
- MATERIALS AND PRODUCTS handled: files, forms, reports, records, receipt books, and office supplies and chemicals.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to operate standard office equipment and personal computer.
- Sufficient personal mobility, agility, balance, strength and flexibility to work in an office environment that requires sitting for long periods of time, keyboarding and occasionally lifting up to 40 pounds.
- Sufficient clarity of speed and hearing, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to discern verbal instruction and communicate effectively on the telephone and in person.
- Sufficient visual acuity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to comprehend written work, instructions and review, evaluate, and prepare a variety of written/typed documents and materials.
- Jobs in this class require performing repetitive hand movement in gripping, fingering, and hand/wrist/arm movements. Related job task my require, with or without reasonable accommodation, walking, standing, sitting, stooping, squatting, kneeling, bending, crouching, pushing, grasping and reaching.
The work environment characteristics described above are representative of these an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions when notified of said disability.
- All essential duties are performed indoors, in a temperature-controlled environment.
- Duties are performed on an even and dry surface, which may be carpeted or tile.
- Duties performed weekdays and evenings, as required.
- Often works alone with direction from the City Clerk.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
The City of Truth or Consequences has an opening for the position of ASSISTANT CLERK in the CITY CLERKS OFFICE.
See Job Description for full requirements and representative duties.
Grade GS-5: Pay rate commensurate with qualification and experience, plus benefits.
Application and Job Description are available from Human Resources Office, 505 Sims Street, T or C NM, 87901, tel. #575-894-6673 ext. 314, fax #575-894-0363.
Deadline for applications to be returned to the City’s HR Office is: Until filled. E.O.E.
PUBLISH: April 27, 2018 - Sentinel
May 02, 2018 - Herald
POSTED: WORKFORCE SOLUTIONS (04/27/18 – until filled)
CITY’S WEBSITE (04/27/18 – until filled)
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled