Solid Waste Relief Driver
Class Title: Solid Waste Relief Driver Cost Code: 42-02
Department: Joint Utility Grade No. GS-5
Division: Solid Waste Status: Classified
This is heavy, manual work of a repetitive nature in the collection or disposal of trash and refuse of all kinds
Works under the general guidance and direction of the Sanitation Director or others as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES ARE APPLICABLE TO ALL ASPECTS OF THE SANITATION DEPARTMENT INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO TRASH ROUTES, SOLID WASTE COLLECTION CENTER AND RECYCLE CENTER:
- Position may require the operation of trash or dump trucks or heavy equipment.
- Wash, clean and grease truck and/or equipment, check fluids, tires, etc.
- Performs a variety of routine duties in the cleaning, maintaining and setting of various types of trash receptacles.
- Manually picks up garbage, trash, brush or yard waste, recyclables, and white goods (i.e., refrigerators, hot water heaters, etc.)
- Will be required to work weekends and holidays.
- Schedule changes may be required due to workload.
- Performs a variety of routine duties in the cleaning of facility floors and tunnel. Washing and basic maintenance of collection center equipment.
- May be responsible for daily operation of waste collection center and recycle center as required or as assigned by sanitation director, supervisor.
- May be responsible for the loading of waste into transfer trailers and recycle materials into roll-off containers or trailers as necessary or assigned.
- May be responsible for conducting random load inspections of incoming waste from residents, businesses and commercial trash trucks.
- Performs manual separation and removal of recyclable material from waste that is placed on the tipping floor.
- May be responsible for the daily operations and duties of loading recycle materials into horizontal or vertical baler.
- May be responsible for making sure that recycling containers and trailers are emptied and ready for use.
- Responsible for helping residents with material separation and collection.
- Performs house cleaning and grounds keeping duties as requested or assigned.
- Performs a variety of routine duties in the cleaning and maintenance of facility floors and various collection and recycle center equipment as assigned.
- May be required to work in Scale House as needed. Must have customer service skills and basic cash handling experience.
The above information on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required of all employees assigned to this job.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma, or GED Equivalent.
- Experience in waste collection, equipment operation or recycling preferred but not required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to maintain pleasant working relationships with supervisors, co-workers and the general public.
- Ability to communicate in both oral and written English.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to learn and perform basic maintenance or repair on equipment or trucks.
- Ability to learn to operate dump truck, trash truck and heavy equipment as assigned.
- Ability to learn to handle truck and/or equipment in traffic and be familiar with trafficlaws and regulations.
- Ability to learn safety procedures required in the loading and unloading of refuse material.
- Ability to learn and be able to distinguish the kinds of refuse materials which may be picked up.
- Ability to work with computers and computer programing.
- Ability to determine when a load /
- waste is / could be harmful to public health or environment.
- Ability to obtain a Valid New Mexico “Class B” CDL within 6 months of employment.
- Ability to read and understand Solid Waste Bureau Rules and Regulations.
- Ability to successfully complete Solid Waste Certification in any field within 1 year of employment: Landfill, Transfer Station, Recycling, or Composting.
- Must successfully complete the post-offer employment medical examination and pre-employment drug screening and employment medical examination.
New Mexico CDL Training and Solid Waste Training for certifications may be attained through the city. The required certification does not guarantee promotion and / or wage increase. City may use employee’s certification in temporary position when needed.
Equipment, Tools & Materials:
- Worker uses a wide variety of forms, clipboard and writing utensils.
- Worker wears steel-toed shoes, gloves, goggles and a hardhat for protection and safety in performing certain duties.
- Worker handles various types of waste, recyclable materials, broom, and dust pan, various hand tools, pitchfork, hoe, rake, shovel, and grease gun.
- Worker may be required to operate trash truck and/or heavy equipment as assigned.
- Work is performed mostly outdoors, subject to natural weather conditions and extremes in temperatures
- Subject to hazards such as cuts, bruises, dog bites, diseases, hazardous materials and dead animals.
- Subject to moderate and extreme noise levels caused by equipment.
- Subject to unpleasant odors.
- Duties may involve walking, climbing, crawling, standing, sitting, crouching, kneeling and ability to assume prone positions.
- Work is normally performed during weekdays, and part of work shift may be performed in the darkness. Emergencies may require working all hours of the day or night, including weekends, and holidays. Drivers may be called in to cover another driver’s shift.
- Driving conditions may consist of muddy or wet roads, snowy or icy roads and high winds other duties are performed on hard surfaces, uneven and inclined slopes.
- Specific required movements include the following (100+ pounds):
- Trunk: bend, twist, rotate, push, pull, and carry.
- Arms: reach, carry, push, pull, lift, twist, and rotate.
- Legs: lift, push, pull, twist, rotate, balance.
- Hands: grasp, manipulate, rapid movement, bilateral coordination, finger and overall dexterity.
- It is the employee’s responsibility to obtain assistance from another worker or mechanical aid on items weighing more than 100 pounds.
- Must be able to use sound judgment, logic, and experience to make proper decisions concerning whether something can be recycled, what trash items can be disposed of, and recognition of problem and hazardous waste.
- Must be able to apply knowledge of maintenance and repair functions in working with the equipment. Must be able to apply knowledge of proper, safe use of various hand tools and the equipment.
- Must be able to learn to safely operate various equipment at the Recycle and Solid Waste Collection Center and learn to safely drive large trash trucks and heavy equipment in high foot traffic area.
- Must have good knowledge of city streets and alleys.
- Must be able to prioritize and organize own tasks as well as tasks of others.
- Must be able to sit for an estimated 4-10 hours total per workday.
- Must be able to stand and/or walk for an estimated 4-8 hours total per workday.
- Must be able to crouch, crawl, kneel, or work in a prone position on an occasional basis. Crawling, kneeling, or working in a prone position is required on rare occasions.
- Must be able to bend at the waist, and twist/rotate at the waist as needed, on a frequent basis.
- Must be able to reach arms away from body or overhead on an occasional basis. Must be able to extend arms to perform job duties on an occasional basis. Must be able to work with arms bent for up to 8 hours per workday.
- Must be able to push or pull with arms with a force in excess of 50 pounds of pressure.
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds from floor to waist level and from waist level to overhead on a frequent basis. Must be able to carry up to 40 pounds on a frequent basis.
- Must be able to use legs to assist in lifting activities, as well as standing, walking, and climbing.
- Must be able to use legs and feet in order to operate heavy equipment and drive trash trucks.
- Must be able to use hands to grasp/manipulate various objects in a bilaterally coordinated manner.
- Must be able to use hands and fingers in the operation of heavy equipment and performing basic maintenance and repair duties.
- Must have eyesight and hearing sufficient to safely operate heavy equipment.
- Must be able to use visual abilities to accurately assess amounts and types of trash that is being collected.
- Must be able to coordinate use of eyes and hands in duties such as operating heavy equipment.
The above Physical Functions section uses the terms Occasional, Frequent, and Constant in referring to certain physical demands. The term Occasional refers to a 1-32 repetitions per workday, the term Frequent refers to 33-200 repetitions per workday.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be requested.
This Position Description does not constitute an employment agreement between the Employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the Employer and requirements of the job change
SOLIDWASTE RELIEF DRIVER
The City of Truth or Consequences has an opening for the position of SOLIDWASTE RELIEF DRIVER in the SOLIDWASTE DIVISION.
See Job Description for full requirements and representative duties.
Grade GS-5: Pay rate commensurate with qualification and experience, plus benefits
Application and Job Description are available from Human Resources Office , 505 Sims Street, T or C., NM, 87901, tel.#575-894-6673 ext. 314 fax #575-894-0363. Deadline for applications to be returned to the City’s HR Office is until filled. E.O.E.
October 24, 2018 - Herald
November 2, 2018 - Sentinel
WORKFORCE SOLUTIONS (10/24/18 – until filled)
CITY’S WEBSITE (10/24/18 – until filled)
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled