Animal Control Officer/Code Compliance
Class Title: ANIMAL CONTROL OFFICER/ Cost Code: #10-07
Department: Police Department Grade No. GS-5
Division: Police Status: Classified
Responsible to perform routine enforcement work in the control, care, custody and disposal of strays and/or wild animals and insure compliance with City ordinances pertaining to animal control. Responsible for enforcing applicable regulations in a civilian capacity and with limited peace officer authority in the area of animal control and code enforcement. Animal Control Officer provide quality services, protect and compassion to its citizens and animals, and assist it the general operation of the Animal Shelter.
Under the direction of the Captain and/or Chief of Police.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Respond to radio and telephone dispatches for animal complaints from citizens.
- Operated city vehicle to control animals at large, enforcing animal ordinances and impounding stray animals and transports them to the pound. Cares for them while detained, and disposes of animals when necessary.
- Answers calls to investigate vicious, diseased or in other ways harmful animals.
- Visits homes to inspect license, vaccination certificates and sick animals.
- Investigates animal bites or scratches and arranges for appropriate idenitification and institutes quarantine of aggressor animal.
- Investigates complaints concerning treatment of animals not in compliance with animal ordinances.
- Issues citations for violation of city ordinances.
- Authorized to issues written notices and citations to individuals who abuse and violate city compliance codes.
- Assist Code Enforcement Officer in investigates complaints and problems related to possible violation of applicable city ordinances and codes.
- Inspects properties to determine compliance of property maintenance standards and ordinances.
- Prepare and maintains records and may prepare special reports.
- Works with the Animal Humane Society.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Performs assigned duties as required at the animal shelter.
- At times be responsible for the euthanasia of animals.
- Thorough knowledge of the occupational hazards and corresponding safety precaution necessary for the safe performance of assigned duties.
- Knowledge and ability in the feeding and care of impounded animals.
- Performs any other animal care and control duties as directed.
The above information on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required of all employees assigned to this job.
- High school diploma or GED Certificate of Completion.
- One year as Animal Control Officer, or two years’ experience in working with domestic animals on a farm, zoo, or veterinarian clinic, etc.
- One (1) one year experience in code enforcement, preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Some knowledge of City ordinances concerning animal control; care and feeding of domestic animals; animal diseases and prevention.
- Ability to read, write and follow verbal and written instructions, all in English.
- Ability to become knowledgeable of City’s Animal Control Ordinances, and willing and capable of enforcing same.
- Working knowledge basic codes, ordinances, laws, and regulations governing possession of animals within the city and governing zoning and building; the city, locations of streets and all areas in and around the City.
- Ability to handle domestic and wild animals.
- Ability to handle confidential matters in a trustworthy matter.
- Ability to operating a personal computer.
- Ability to develop and maintain courteous, respectful, and effective working relationships with fellow employees and the public; set work priorities.
- Prepare incident reports, records and logs using prescribed format and conforming to all rules of punctuation, grammar, diction and style.
- Ability to maintain accurate records; write clear.
- Ability to operate city vehicle: maintain vehicle for cleanliness, well-equipped, properly services: reports needed repairs to supervisor.
- Must possess and maintain a valid New Mexico Driver’s license.
- Must successfully pass pre-employment drug testing and post-offer employmentmedical examination.
- Must be able to past stringent background investigation and be free of any felony convictions.
- Must complete a euthanasia certification class within one year of employment.
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS AND MATERIALS:
- Use a capture stick, a variety of animal traps, nets, euthanasia machine, and tranquilizer gun.
- City’s Code of Ordinance, books, maps, and other paper products.
- Utilizes the equipment, tools, and vehicles necessary to perform the essential duties section.
- City vehicle is assigned.
- Must be able to communicate orally and writing in English.
- Must be able to read such items as newspapers, manuals, ordinances.
- Must be able to comprehend and utilize computer programs and updates.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Moderately heavy physical position working involving extensive walking on all terrain’s, reaching, carrying up to 50 pounds a distance of 15 feet, push/pull up to 125 pounds.
- Frequent bending, stooping, reaching and working with arms extended.
- May be required to pursue animals on foot.
- Cannot have uncontrolled allergies to animals.
- Sufficient eyesight is need to spot animals in the field.
- The employee is required to use hands to finger, handle, or operate objects or controls; reach with hands and arms and be able to hear and speak.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Requires arduous physical exertion under rigorous and unusual conditions.
- Works ninety (90)percent outdoors exposed to all weather conditions, dust, noises, uneven surfaces, odors, and gases.
- Hazards include animal attacks, traffic accidents, and carbon monoxide, mechanical and electrical element
- Often works alone without direct supervision.
- Requires competing demands such as strict deadlines, multiple tasks and occasional work beyond normal business hours.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required.
The Position Description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the
employer and requirements of the job change.
ANIMAL CONTROL OFFICER/CODE COMPLIANCE
The City of Truth or Consequences has one opening for the position of ANIMAL CONTROL OFFICER/CODE COMPLIANCE in the POLICE DEPARTMENT.
See Job Description for full requirements and representative duties.
Grade: GS-5 @ pay rate commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus benefits
Application and Job Descriptions are available from the City’s Human Resources Office,
505 Sims Street, T or C., NM 87901, tel. #575-894-6673 ext. 314 fax #575-894-0363.
Deadline for applications to be returned to City’s HR Office is until filled E.O.E.
PUBLISH: May 04, 2018 - Sentinel
May 09, 2018 - Herald
POSTED: City’s Website (05/04/18 – until filled)
Workforce Solutions (05/04/18 – until filled)
POSTED: City’s Website (03/30/18 – until filled)
Workforce Solutions (03/30/18 – until filled)
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled